Location in Spain:
The region has some of the most outstanding tourist attractions in Spain. The two national parks of Covadonga and Picos de Europa set the standard for all kinds of outdoor pursuits and interests. The three UNESCO designated world heritage cities are a measure of the cultural and historic richness of this part of Spain.
Countryside and wildlife in Castile and Leon
Activities and sports
The varied landscapes are excellent for walking, mountain-biking and orienteering. In a less strenuous group are golf, clay-pigeon shooting and archery. And for those who like a real challenge there is always ravine descending(with ropes) or quad and 4 x4 rallies.
- City and walls of Avila
- Cathedral of Burgos
- Archeological site of Atapuerca
- Roman burial site of Medulas
- City of Salamanca
- City and roman viaduct of Segovia
Castile and Leon has its share of prehistory remains and monuments, but the Romans provided the first lasting influence. They brought organisation, roads, architecture and engineering(Segovia/Merida) and Christianity, which was consolidated by the Visigoths, especially in Palencia.
In the eighth century the Moors took over and the Duero basin became strategically important.
Ferdinand I and Alfonso VI expanded the kingdom of Castile from the east to the west and the Moors were finally forced out in 1492.
In the same year Christopher Columbus found his way to the Americas which were colonised and then delivered great wealth. Under Isabel and Ferdinand the peninsula was being unified and the absolute monarchy consolidated.
In 1562 Philip II transferred the court from Valladolid to Madrid.
Festivals traditions and cooking
Some festivals have been recognised as being of special tourist interest, because of their cultural, artistic or anthropological content. These include: the Colocho in Castrillo de Murcia(Burgos); the Paso del Fuego in San Pedro Manrique (Soria) and the processión of Vitor in Mayorga de Campos (Valladolid).
Religious celebrations have a particular importance in Castile and Leon not only to show local devotion, but as genuine outdoor theatre.
Local dishes are very varied. But the best known are roast lamb and roast suckling pig; garlic soup and Castillian soup. Also popular is the veal of Avala; Iberico pork from Salamanca as ham and in spicy sausages; the pork and beef sausages of the highlands of Leon. Notable cheeses include those of Burgos, Zamora and Valladolid. Sweet dishes that are particularly delicious include the mantecadas of Astorga, the yemas of Avila, the empiñonadas of de Aranda de Duero and the almonds garrapiñadas of Salamanca .
The region´s wines have long been recognised in national and international shops and they compete well with better known names. Four of the best quality are; Vega Sicilia from the ribera de Duero, the amontillados and white wines of the high Rueda, the rose wines of Cigales and the wines of Toro.
Getting there and about
Castile and Leon is fortuitously at the crossroads of the major east-west and north-south major road network of Spain. The NV1.A6 goes from Madrid to Galicia and the N620.A1 goes from Vitoria to Salamanca and there are other good roads connecting to all major towns.
There are nearly two thousand miles of rail services throughout the region and to the north of Spain.
There are four national airports at Valladolid, Salamanca, León and Burgos, all connecting to Madrid Barajas itnernational airport (by road, less then 2 hours) hence to anywhere in Europe and beyond.
Hoteles y apartamentos en los principales destinos turisticos de Castilla y León:
- Salamanca - Todos los hoteles y apartamentos de Salamanca - en una lista | en el mapa >>>
- Valladolid - Todos los hoteles y apartamentos de Valladolid - en una lista | en el mapa >>>
- León - Todos los hoteles y apartamentos de Leon - en una lista | en el mapa >>>
- Burgos - Todos los hoteles y apartamentos de Burgos - en una lista | en el mapa >>>
- Ávila - Todos los hoteles y apartamentos de Ávila - en una lista | en el mapa >>>
- Segovia - Todos los hoteles y apartamentos de Segovia - en una lista | en el mapa >>>
- Soria - Todos los hoteles y apartamentos de Soria - en una lista | en el mapa >>>
- Zamora - Todos los hoteles y apartamentos de Zamora - en una lista | en el mapa >>>
- Ponferrada - Todos los hoteles y apartamentos de Ponferrada - en una lista | en el mapa >>>
- Palencia - Todos los hoteles y apartamentos de Palencia - en una lista | en el mapa >>>
- Ciudad-Rodrigo - Todos los hoteles y apartamentos de Ciudad Rodrigo - en una lista | en el mapa >>>
- La Lastrilla - Todos los hoteles y apartamentos de La Lastrilla - en una lista | en el mapa >>>